Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Just keep on keepin' on

Did I just date myself? Um. Yep. but that's OK we all have a "fresh by" date and I still believe I am well inside the "fresh" zone.

I've been thinking that losing weight is odd as a goal in and of itself. I think instead the goal is to be healthy, happy and fit, losing weight is just part of the formula to attain my goal. Being overweight is, granted, a sucky thing and losing it is a chore but the real question is, how did I get here and why did I let myself go this far. So if being overweight isn't the cause but instead is a result of some action or inaction on my part what is the cause?

Laziness? Well yes that is part of it, but I am not lazy in all parts of my life, the things I like to do I do well and I am willing to work hard for. I think instead the thing that is killing me, is fear of failure.

I hate to fail, I mean I really hate to lose, fail or make mistakes. A few years back I saw a movie that both my daughter and I LOVE, it was called Meet The Robinson's a great picture from Disney. I won't go into details beyond the theme, failure is a necessary part of advancement, if you want to succeed at something you have to be prepared to fail first. The secret is you try again and again and again. Until you succeed. One of the lines from the movie really stuck with me, "In failure we learn. In success, not so much", I think this theme resonated because it has been something I struggled with all my life.

I'm not risk adverse on the fun things, bungee jumping, hiking, climbing, skateboarding yeesh you name it I was willing to put it all out there. No I am risk adverse on the important things, the hard things, the things I have to really work at, you know, the things that matter. I look for the easy path, is that laziness? maybe instead I think it's because it's easy (meaning a low chance of spectacular failure).

So I named the blog "Keep Moving Forward" taken from a quote by Walt Disney inserted into the credits at the end of Meet The Robinson's, "Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney" and i am going to start practicing a bit of that "not looking backwards" starting today. I will instead focus on my destination and the path I am on here, now.

All of the above was to support this, I weighed myself last night and my progress for the week? Only a little over a pound. I was hoping to hang onto the 3+ pounds a week even though I knew it wasn't reasonable without larger changes in my exercise. So I am upping the ante a bit for this week, walking a bit more, moving often and always. The one thing I'm not changing? My diet. The food I am eating is good for me, the portions are correct and the energy level I have is great, I'm not going backwards it just slowed down a tad and I need to up my game :)

Menu:

Breakfast - 1 cup of Kashi GoLean, 1/2 cup of 2% and a small banana - Calories 345, Fiber 7g

Snack - TFPDs Zesty Bean and Chip recipe Calories 210, Fiber 4g

Lunch - Veggie & Bean Tostada Calories 377, Fiber 18g

Snack - Pink Lady Apple - Calories 100, Fiber 5g

Dinner - Asparagus Szcheuan Stir Fry - 1 cup asparagus, 2 cups broccoli, 1 cup snow peas, 1 cup celery chopped, 1 cup bok choy, 2tbs soy sauce, 2tbs mirin, 2 tbs sesame oil, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, 1tbs peanut butter and 1tbs red pepper flakes. Serves 2 Calories 231, Fiber 12.5

Total:
Calories 1263
Fiber 46.5

No comments: