Saturday, August 4, 2012

Weekend in a nutshell...

I am finally starting some yoga/Pilate's exercises today, I am going to go slow on this one so I don't short-circuit my desire to begin working out. I also added another Power-up to my SuperBetter routine called Lazy Exercise which, as I have said before, is right up my alley. It turns everyday activities into health choices. Going to the store? Park farther out in the lot than you normally do. Sitting around listening to music? Get up and dance. Sitting down or standing still? Get up and move :) Sounds a lot easier than reserving time in your day to go to a gym hence the name :)

I mentioned SuperBetter awhile back and I'll recommend it again. Turning activities I don't enjoy into a game makes my competitive self strive a little bit harder :).

The game is not just for weight loss the creator of the game came up with the idea after suffering TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) that left her in pain that eventually became depression. As a game designer she both made games for a living but also loved playing them. After a month of crushing depression and constant headaches her sister invited her to play a co-op game online. She joined her sister online and began playing. After a few weeks she noticed some thing had changed with her, even though she still suffered the headaches her depression had receded significantly. It made her TBI issues manageable.

So she began looking into the theory of game play and health and there were tons of studies showing that playing games, any games, was good for you. She began work on SuperBetter and here we are today. If you'd like to hear her thoughts on this (and I highly recommend this) check out her Ted talk from this year,

So weight loss for me is now partly a game :) and that is a good thing because I LOVE games and I love winning almost as much :)

Menu for the weekend:

Breakfast - PB&J Smoothie (I made this one up) Calories 405, Fiber 6g

Snack (if I'm hungry) - 1 Medium Orange Calories 69, Fiber 3g

Lunch - MIke's Bag Lunch (this will be a regular so I named it) 2 slices of Dave's Killer Bread 21 Grain, half a medium avocado, 1/3 English cucumber sliced and slice of thin cut deli ham. Calories 460, Fiber 14g
Snack - Pear Calories 100 , Fiber 5g

Dinner - TFPD Sesame Noodle and a Spinach salad (1cup wilted spinach, 1tsp sesame oil and 1tbs lemon juice) Calories 365, Fiber 14.5g

Total:
Calories = 1399
Fiber = 42.5

Sunday:

Breakfast - TFPD Polenta Scramble Calories 315, Fiber 6g

Snack - Pink Lady Apple Calories 130 , Fiber 5g

Lunch - MIke's Bag Lunch (this will be a regular so I named it) 2 slices of Dave's Killer Bread 21 Grain, half a medium avocado, 1/3 English cucumber sliced and slice of thin cut deli ham. Calories 460, Fiber 14g
Snack - 1 Medium Orange Calories 69, Fiber 3g

Dinner - Grilled chicken ,zucchini, polenta and 1/2 a serving of the Half hour Chili  (BBQ for the fam here is my version) 1 medium chicken breast no skin, dry BBQ rub, 1 large zucchini and one serving of polenta (I cut them into rectangles) 1/2tbs olive oil. Brush the veggie and the polenta with olive oil and place the works on the grill. Calories 564, Fiber 10.5g

Total:
Calories = 1540
Fiber = 38.5

No comments: