Thursday, July 26, 2012

Fiber, Fiber, Fiber, Fiber (ugh, you get the idea)

Get some fiber in your diet, sounds easy right? The daily recommended allowance currently being touted is about 30 grams. When i started the diet I thought "this is going to be easy, I eat all kinds of things with fiber in them."

Actually, no I didn't.

No matter how I crunched the numbers my daily was about 9 grams, 12 grams on a good day. So I began the task of punching up my fiber, looking at labels and adding it all up. My diet wanted me to shoot for 40 grams eventually.

40 grams!?! Where am I going to find that? Couch stuffing? I really didn't want to resort to Metamucil as I'm not a big fan of drinking water with sediment in it and I am trying to avoid sweetened drinks.

 I am now, on average, getting about 45 grams a day and the diet wants me to shoot for 40 and I am finding it easier to do than I thought. At points you will notice I am buying Oroweat Double Fiber bread and muffins and LaTortilla factory multi grain high fiber wraps, I could just go with good multi grain versions for a slight reduction on the fiber (and I may) but for now this is how I am doing it.

I am planning my menu pretty well now so instead of tracking just calories I'll be adding the fiber grams in as well.

Menu:

Breakfast - 1 cup Kaski GoLean, 1/2 cup 2% milk, 1 cup mixed berries = 345 calories and 8 grams fiber

Snack - TFD Zesty Bean Dip and Chips Calories 199 and 4 grams fiber

Lunch - Southwest Wrap 1 LaTortilla Factory Multi grain wrap, 1/4 cup no fat refried beans, 1/4 cup corn, 1/4 cup red onion (chopped), 1/8 cup diced Jalapenos, 1tbs Salsa, 1 cup brown rice, Calories 370 and fiber 18 grams.

Snack - Pink Lady Apple Calories = 130 and fiber = 5

Dinner - Summer Sandwich one more night. 2 slices Oroweat Double Fiber bread, 1/2 a med avocado smashed, 1/2 med Roma tomato diced, 1/2 cup spinach, 1 cup romaine, 1 serving of Oscar Mayer Deli slice honey ham (this really works to put a little non veg in the day low cal, low fat and the price is reasonable, I think I'll go with the Natural cuts next week to be a little healthier) 1tbs Dijon mustard calories = 382 and fiber = 22

Total Calories for the day = 1426
Total Fiber in grams = 57

I am never hungry, I am full of energy and I feel better than I have on any other regimen ever. I would say this is a win for the Full Plate Diet.

No comments: