Monday, July 30, 2012

Weekends are for...

...doing things. It's that simple, I'm trying to change the image I have of myself these last few years it's a "Buddha sitting on a throne image" with me camping the living room big, comfy chair, plugged into my computer. calling for my kids to bring me things. Being the "king" of the house is a comfy gig, to comfy in fact, which has resulted in my gut making me look like a ginormous pear.

So from now on I am going to do for myself, want water? Get it myself. Need the phone, get off my ass and get it myself. I am no longer to surround myself with my technology making it an exercise in earth moving to detach from my throne.

I'm not stupid enough to say I won't set up in the living room when I want to play or surf, I'm just saying I am going to limit that time, do for myself and get up and get moving.

I got out this weekend with the kids (wife works on Saturdays, for now at least) went and saw Batman:Dark Knight Rises which was awesome and oddly motivating. This movies foundations (if not the actual script) are based on one of my favorite Batman story arcs, The breaking of the Bat, where he meets something for the first time that is unbeatable. This immovable force is called Bane (nice use of a metaphor isn't it) who proceeds to undo everything Batman and Bruce Wayne have worked/lived for and eventually breaks his back and leaves him for dead.

That is the first half of the story, the second half is the renewal, healing of Bruce's body, mind and soul and his eventually return to Gotham city and the defeat of Bane.

After the movie I went home and spent some time chewing on the basic truths contained in the story. I compared the parallel anchors in the story of drive, self worth, desire and dedication. What is so different about my story I pondered. My "bane" was myself, created out of a low self worth, very little drive and little desire to really change. I am my own worst enemy.

Today is week three, my hump week so to speak, the hardest week for me whenever I try something new. By this time the newness has faded, I have either found my rhythm or discovered the rut (always my excuse to give up, I mean who wants to be in a rut). Hump week for me is normally where I quit things, typically because it requires to much work, actually any work, I told you I'm lazy.

Getting healthy again is a ton of work. I have to plan, prep and execute. There is no one else. It's all me, all the time. Actually that isn't fair. My wife executes the shopping aspect picking up the items I've added to the list. I found myself looking for ways to quick prep, and had to stop myself. No shortcuts, no easy path, that is what I said. Shortcuts are the devil Bobby Bouche...

So I planned out slightly more complex menu items, focusing on flavor and left overs that I can turn into lunches (of so a small shortcut, but a healthy one). Let me say, polenta is a pain in the butt to make, 20 to 30 minutes stirring a pot are they crazy? But it sure goes great with a bunch of veggies and is very satisfying.

Menu:

Breakfast - Kashi GoLean, 1/2 cup 2% milk and 1 small banana Calories = 345 and Fiber =8g

Snack - TFPD Zesty Bean Dip and Chips (see earlier posts for link) Calories =210 and Fiber =4g

Lunch - Zesty Bean and Veggie Tostada. 1 LaTortilla Factory Multi grain wrap, 1/2 cup of the TFDP Zesty Bean mix, 1 cup of romaine, 1 cup of spinach, 1/8 cup jalapenos and 1/8 cup diced red onion and an apple Calories =420 and Fiber = 19g

Snack = Pink Lady Apple Calories =130 and Fiber = 5g

Dinner = TFPD Spicy Vegetable Soup and Polenta Calories = 323 and Fiber = 11g

Total:
Calories = 1428
Fiber = 47g

No comments: