Monday, August 20, 2012

Talk About The Passion

I've never been hungry in my life. Ever. Food in America for most of us is something we take for granted, in fact we've taken food for granted for such a long time that we, as a nation, are fat. I've started a blog about trying to NOT be fat and it struck me this weekend that my "problem" is very much an issue for those of us who "have".

I was listening to my music this weekend and "Talk About The Passion" popped up in my queue. The song was written by R.E.M. back in the early 80's about hunger and feeding the poor and I guess it just struck me at the right time, as I sat there planning my menu for the week, creating a shopping list and generally spending time thinking about food. Food I knew I could just run to the store and pull off the shelf at any time without a lot of care whether I could pay for it.

When I lost my job back in 2008 I figured I'd be back to work within weeks, 10 months later I took what I could get, it was less pay ($20K less a year) but it was a job. Even during that time off, when we shopped frugally and watched our bank account dwindle to nothing we were never hungry. Not once did my kids go to bed unfed or start the day without a full stomach. Funny part was I even remember donating to the local food bank that Christmas but the food bank donations have always been a once or twice a year thing for us only when we are in the "seasonal giving spirit" we just stop thinking about it otherwise.

With the state of our economy and the fact that real unemployment is hovering around 14% (remember the government approved number is hiding the fact that many have been moved off the roles and into disability or are off the roles altogether) it is time that I not only fix myself but start giving what I can to those around me who need help.

So each week that we go shopping we are going to buy one bag of groceries for our local food bank, mission or shelter and make shopping day also giving day. I'd like to encourage everyone else to do the same if you can.

"What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works." James 2: 14-18

Menu for today:

Breakfast - 1 cup of Kashi GoLean, half a cup of 2% milk and a cup of mixed berries. Calories 371, Fiber 17g

Snack - 1 medium pear. Calories 96, Fiber 5.1

Lunch - My version of The Full Plate Diet's Vegetarian Chili (I'll print the recipe tonight) on two Mission Ancient Grains Tortillas and a carrot. Calories 402, Fiber 20.7

Snack - 1 medium orange. Calories 62, Fiber 3.1

Dinner - Tofu Noodle Soup - Calories 399, Fiber 12g

Optional snack - Smartfood White Cheddar Cheese Popcorn (this product tastes great and it is air popped so much lower in fat and calories) Calories 160, Fiber 2g

Total:
Calories = 1432
Fiber = 59g

No comments: